As we enter the winter season, we want to share information about how delays and/or cancellations are decided as well as how they will be shared with our school community.
Guidelines for Delays/Cancellations due to Weather
Weather conditions can vary and be extreme.
WCS has students from all areas of Wabash county as well as surrounding counties. As a result, varying weather and/or road conditions could be present on our transportation routes.
On days with possible inclement weather, WCS will take the following steps to decide upon a delay and/or cancellation.
The transportation department will drive roads to determine if conditions warrant a delay/cancellation.
Transportation department will collaborate with neighboring districts.
Superintendent will also collaborate with superintendents in neighboring districts.
Delays/cancellations will be shared via the following TV and radio stations as well as the following social media outlets:
TV stations: WANE Channel 15, WPTA Channel 21, FW NBC Channel 33
Radio stations: 105.9 The Bash, 95.9 WKUZ
Social media: Wabash City Schools Facebook page, Dr. Sivley’s Facebook page, Dr. Sivley’s Twitter page (@WabashSuper)
WCS District Call Out: To ensure you receive the call, please add “WCS Auto Dialer” (260-563-0000) as a contact in your phone.
Delays will be communicated by 6:45 a.m.; cancellations will be communicated by 8:45 a.m.
Freezing Rain--most unpredictable; decisions will most likely be made in the morning
Snowfall--more predictable than freezing rain; because of the variation in predictions and actual snowfall, decisions will most likely be made in the morning
Extreme Snowfall-- snowfall is extreme or it at a high level with more predicted overnight; decisions could be made the evening before or in the morning
Extreme Cold--WCS has a large number of students that walk to school and bus stops; if temperatures are at or near -10 degrees (with calm winds), WCS will consider delaying/canceling
Windchill (see chart below)--frostbite can occur when windchill is at or below -20 degrees; when windchill is at or near this level, WCS will consider delaying/canceling